Monday 4 May 2009

London Zine Symposium


The London Zine Symposium took place yesterday at The Rag Factory close to Brick Lane. I got there about 4pm and it was crazy, zinesters looking about. It was a traumatic start, with what I thought was a small child trying to get under my skirt. Instead it was a dog. Still quite bad - imagine if the dog had bit me?!

Anyways - lots of good things - and a vast improvement on the Alternative Press fair. The lovely ladies from Shebang and Lazy Soosan were there, as well the usual suspects. Also picked up a patch from Lizz Lunney's stall. I don't know if it is because I am more aware of it, but it seems like the D.I.Y culture of self-made press is flourishing at the moment, there's a lot of good quality zines, produced by girls and boys alike. I picked up a great zine from the active distribution stall - the one at the top, of revolutionary women stencils - which I love, profiling women who fought for social justice.

There was also a zine called 'Woody' I really wanted - if anyone out there who knows where I can get it, let me know (I didn't really have any money on me...). It was about meeting Woody Allen.

Off to Amsterdam on Wednesday morning bright and early. I'd advise anyone in a creative slump to embark on a relationship which gives you pain for years, as it really pushes you to do things! 

1 comment:

Mr ZEEL said...

Me and Orson was there too, maybe we were leaving...
http://aligon-adventures.blogspot.com/